A short uphill drive, along two-kilometres of ‘kucha’ road from Bhimtal Lake, leads you to Fredy’s Bungalow. This imposing colonial-style homestead nestles among Cypress and Deodar trees, on a peaceful wooded hillside, overlooking the Bhimtal Valley and the mountain slopes beyond. Located in the midst of acres of dense oak forest, this is a peaceful haven where only the sounds of nature break the silence: the wake-up song of the resident Whistling Thrush, the sharp call of a Barking Deer in the distance; the hoot of a Spotted Owl signalling dusk.
Cuisine: Distinct Kumaoni food which is mildly spiced, highly nutritious and made with fresh vegetables. Indian and Continental dishes are also served. Milk, meat, and poultry are procured on daily basis since the hotel does not use deep freezers.
Summer – March to June, 32°c high, 18°c low.
Winter – Nov to Mid Feb, 12°c high, sub zero low
Monsoon – July to Sept, 26°c high, 13°c low
Best time to visit: Summer & Monsoon
By Air: Air India’s flight to Pantnagar from Delhi. From Pantnagar Airport, Fredy’s Bungalow is just 65 kms (2 hours).
By Train: There are daily trains from Delhi to Kathgodam, the rail head nearest to the estate. From Kathgodam, the estate is a 1 hour drive through a scenic route. Ranikhet Express departs Old Delhi station at 10:40 PM and arrives in Kathgodam at 5:45 AM. Shatabdi Express departs New Delhi at 6:10 AM and arrives in Kathgodam at 11:40 AM.
By Road: The drive from Delhi takes about 7 hours.
THINGS TO DO
This part of the Kumaon Lake region, home to a large variety of flora, fauna and aquatic life, has always attracted bird-watchers, butterfly-collectors, nature lovers, writers in search of solitude and city-dwellers seeking to renew their spirit.
A steep 10-minute mountain trail, adjacent to the bungalow, leads to ‘The Ridge’ with its breath-taking view of the Sattal Lakes below and Nainital in the distance.
A level walking track from the bungalow offers an easy 30-minute walk to these lakes, which are otherwise more than 10 km, and 45 minutes, by motor road.
Below is some more information on what you can do:
- Birding/Photography/Nature/Local Walks led by the hotel manager.
- Short trek to Bhimtal Lake (10 minutes) or Sattal Lake (25 minutes).
- Boating at Sattal and Bhimtal Lakes can be arranged. (Rs. 300 per boat approx)
- Bhimtal is also a good place for bird watching. The forests around this area have more than 200 varieties of birds and more than 500 varieties of butterflies.
- Picnic lunch around the bungalow & fishing can be arranged.
- Excursions – The serene surroundings of the bungalow are an invitation for long walks, quiet contemplation and meditation. Accompanied by melodious bird song and fresh mountain breezes, one can walk up to nearby hill tops with stunning views. One of the nicer family walks is a mountain track that takes you all the way to Sattal Lake (20 minutes). Longer walks from the bungalow take you to terraced fields and small villages with the smell of cooking and the sounds of children at play. Small mammals (such as Ghoral, Serow, Sambhar, Muntjac) and a large variety of birds abound in the luscious green hillsides and throughout the valleys.
- Around Bhimtal: Bhimtal is conveniently located near many places of interest – Sattal, Naukuchiyatal, Corbett Park, Nainital, Almora, Ranikhet, Mukteshwar and Kausani.